Loan Description: Education Loan

HFLA Education Loans are intended to fill gap that is left after scholarships, grants, and other financial aid is exhausted. These loans are often needed in order to pursue undergraduate, graduate, vocational and technical schools. This burden often comes between the student attending or finishing their education. These loans are need-based, not merit-based.


  • Applicant or co-signer must live in the 8 county service area (Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Lorain, Mahoning, Medina, Portage, Summit, and Trumbull).
  • All Pell grants and subsidized and unsubsidized loans available to the student must be utilized first.
  • Education Loans can be used for
    • 2 and 4-year degrees from a college or university
    • Graduate and post-graduate studies
    • Certification programs (i.e. CDL classes, plumbing, welding)
    • Trade school tuition (i.e. coding boot camps and other accredited “short-term” programs)
    • Study abroad programs

Important things to know:

  • Loans are need based, not merit based.
  • For 2 and 4-year degrees, and applicant may apply for a loan up to $5,000 per school year with $20,000 maximum over the entire time the student is enrolled in school.
  • For programs with a duration of 1 year or less or for graduate degrees, an applicant may apply for a loan of up to $10,000.
  • While enrolled in school, payments are $100 per month starting 30 days after the loan disbursal as long as long as the student is enrolled full-time. Once this status changes, the loan terms convert to a regular loan and HFLA regular repayment terms apply.
  • The student is required to submit proof of enrollment status annually.
  • Upon approval, checks are typically made out directly to the school.

Click here to apply online

To fill out the application to be mailed to HFLA, click here.

Education Loan Application

Find all Education Loan Applications at the link above.

Featured image: Education Loan-Recipient, Jeremy; Owner of Larder Delicatessen